June 24, 2007

A Time to Mourn

For most of us, visiting a support group is something that we never imagined we would do, right?


At least I never thought I'd ever find myself visiting a support group, much less a support group addressing pet loss. But after my precious little Sappy passed away in 2003, I needed to talk to someone about all of the little broken pieces of sorrow left in my heart. I needed to tell someone about my feelings of emptiness and that heavy pain pressing against my soul.
You Don't Have to Grieve Alone!

Aside from my sweet husband Jim and family, I didn't have anyone. Yes! I had God in my life, but I needed to see God in someone else who also cared. I'm a woman of faith and I cling to hope in Christ, but I still needed for Him to show Himself through someone. And, He did!

He led me to begin a pet loss support group for people like me who need support during such a difficult time. He led me to all of the right people who showed compassion and support. He sent pastor Eddie. He sent a friend Blanca. And, He sent my brother Jesse. And, He sent several people who needed support too. This validated the importance of a support group like this one. So, that's how SAPPY started. And, that's how I became part of a support group. I never imagined myself sitting in a support group sharing my heavy burdens with strangers. But, the truth is, they aren't strangers. We have more in common than we realize. We are all pet parents who've lost their best friends. We are responsible pet parents who know the love and bond that a human can have with a pet companion.

So, if you're thinking about visiting our support group, come share the experience. I believe that you'll be glad you did. It's the first step in healing for many of us.

Hope to see you at one of our support group gatherings. Call for locations, (210) 216-0920, or e-mail me at sappypetloss@sbcglobal.net.

No comments: